Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Last day in Livingstone

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.                                                                                          - Harriet Tubman



I was all ready to upload a new post about the start of the Lion Project, when I realized there was still one last experience in Livingstone to tell about. Here goes; on our very last day Rachel and I were taken by Brave to visit the local Maramba market, where he had told me I would find a retailer carrying fabric and for a visit to a rather remote village. When Rachel discovered that Brave was going to meet me on the last Sunday to take me to the market, she asked if she could tag along and if he would show us what rural life was like for locals. Rachel had spent a couple of months at the AI project as a teacher, and as such, had not had a chance to get out into any of the more rural areas and experience what the conditions were like, and very much wanted to have that experience before her volunteer term ended. She and I took a short cab ride to the market where we met Brave, tagging along as he went around talking with everyone and helping to set up stalls. Seems he knows pretty well everyone and being Brave, he likes to talk, and talk, and talk some more. He’s quite the character. After much wandering through various alley ways, we made our way to the fabric ‘store’ where I purchased a few yards of material. The experience of the market was not something I would have wanted to miss, so much going on, everything you can think of was for sale…lots of cheap Chinese type imports, ie: combs, toys all makes and manner of cheap plastic doo dads. There were piles of used clothing, vegetables, spices and in their separate areas, a feast for the eyes and the senses. Being careful not to offend, when we wanted to take a few pictures, Brave would stand and make like he was posing, as people tend to take offence that M’zungu’s are taking pictures, thinking we are going to show how poor or backwards we think they are.

helping to set up

Brave posing at the market

market stalls

M'zungu and sweet child
After our tour of the market, Brave found us a taxi that would take us to the area he wanted us to see, and most importantly, come back and pick us up! Seemed it was not somewhere most cabs would travel, and after being bumped, shaken and a bit bruised from the rough road, I could understand.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten the name of the area, but it was, to me typical of what I have witnessed before, but a real eye opener for Rachel. We walked around for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes visiting a home where a patient of Brave’s was living; yes, even on his day off he wouldn’t stop looking out and looking after people.


this building is occasionally used for a clinic




inside cooking area

church on the hill

No matter where you go in Zambia, there are always children wanting their pictures taken.
that's a bar on the left




At the end of the trek we ran into someone he had been trying to find for a considerable amount of time, the person having moved around. It was an older gentleman who was blind and had leprosy.

He was presently staying with another couple of men, both older and ill. One was sure we should leave our shoes for him, or at the very least, bring him back a pair, the other thought either Rachel or I should stay as we would make a fine wife for him.

They all had separate huts with a small garden, some chickens and a couple of goats.


household interior
 
all you need for daily abulations


Your light for evenings, fill with kerosene.
 
entering the other hut this area was a corn crib, just inside the door


sleeping area, Rachel is standing just outside the 'room'.

thank you for allowing us to visit
 Heading back to where we were to meet the cab we stopped to take pictures of a few homes and a cart with young boys being drawn by a couple of donkeys. A neighbour man saw us taking the pictures and became very irate, wanting to know what and why we were taking the photos. Lucky for us, Brave did some explaining, what I’m not sure, but it seemed to placate the gentleman and we carried on. Was a really nice way to finish up our time in Livingstone.




No comments: