Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Saturday, April 6, 2013

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.”

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.” ~Teddy Roosevelt 

We spent 4 to 5 mornings within the 2 weeks at the Clinic. These were much newer and better run than in Zambia, with no where near the amount of people lining up. Infact most days it could get quite boring and none of us really looked forward to time spent here.





I assisted in taking BP, weights of adults, children and babies, temperatures, blood glucose levels. This part was rather un-nerving when I discovered I was to do the finger prick for the glucose monitoring with a small x acto blade! No gloves were provided either and so, not knowing if the person had HIV or not made me a little more than slightly apprehensive. I was nervous too with the thought of actually injuring someone with that blade.
 
Nokwethemba
Friday mornings were spent alternately with the Khula and Ezwenelisha HIV/AIDS Support Groups. The support groups assist people living with HIV with health and general information, gardening and crafts skills.
We would make a quick stop at the market down the street to pick up bunches of bananas to take with us (already had drinks loaded into the cooler). Seems the groups expect this small token of food and drink when we arrive. We would then carry on out into the respective community collecting and transporting folks to where the support groups meet on their respective days. This took awhile and a few trips each time to get everyone. While we would wait for a few stranglers (Africa time) to arrive, we did a little weed pulling in the community garden that is being developed the idea is for the produce to be distributed back into the communities to help encourage positive and healthy living as well as generate income. The groups also encourage these women to support each other in their everyday lives. We had one man join the group on my visit, which was a good sign that the men are now starting to listen and learn too. We did a bit of yoga and had a discussion on diabetes and it's effects.
 
 
 


No comments: