Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 5 March 26th

I don't think I've mentioned the lovely huge beetles that we had seen a number of times scurrying across the kitchen floor! The largest was probably about 1 1/2 to 2" with huge antenna, that we spotted when we first arrived, in the kitchen at Zinkwazi; I tried to catch him to put outside, but he scurried behind the counter, only to be seen once more, but there were a couple of smaller versions running about, as well as a couple of baby gecko's. One evening when we came home and everyone was taking turns for their evening shower there was a most horrendous scream from the bathroom and Carol came running out. She wasn't exactly sure what she had seen running across the floor, but was sure she didn't want to see it again! We also came across a VERY large and creepy centipede on the outside wall one afternoon. We all knew there were many varieties of snakes, poisonous and not around, but for myself, I just had to ignore the fact, as long as I didn't see any and pretend they weren't around or I would have never been able to sleep or even walk around!
The weather was running around the 30 degree mark most days and the humidity was like nothing I've ever experienced before. Most days you could almost cut it with a knife. To say it was muggy would have been an understatement and I understand from Peter at the lodge that this wasn't the worst time of year! It still won't keep me from wanting to go back though! Health wise I felt great! I had been expecting to get bronchitis if the humidity was bad, but I wasn't even needing any sinus, which I live on here at home.
This day, after Devotionals at the ADP Office and loading up the trees into Nobuhle's truck, we headed off to the Mphumulo Primary School. This school is funded to a large degree by the Lutheran Church. It was quite different from the last school in that it was much larger, 2 stories, and more well tended, although Hilda had told us earlier that when she had visited the week before the grass in the playground area ( provided by WV ) was extremely long and it didn't look like it had been used. When we got there though, it was all cut and very tidy. They also had a large field area, that was lacking at the last school. Hilda told us that a lot of the children didn't know what to do with the play sets as they have never had them before, so we were all very excited that we would get a chance to play with the children and teach them how to use the swings etc. When we later got the chance there were actually quite a few that seemed very proficient on the swings; and when the soccer balls were brought out, everyone knew what to do with those! We had been told that local children did not really know how to play with puzzles or do board games, whether out of the lack of having games and puzzles or because parents do not take the time, I'm not sure, but it sounded to me like a bit of both. I suppose so much time is spent on the daily necessities of life that there is not much time left for playing.
We were again treated to a welcome ceremony of singing, traditional dance, plays and speech's. There was a young fellow by the name of Celumusa Nzama who stood up and read the following speech to us:

"Halala World Vision Halal.
Without you my life will be empty.
Thank you World Vision for giving me school uniform,
schoolbag, school shoes, blankets and cups.
You bring a smile on my face because my parents passed away while I was young.
You just like my family.
Thank you World Vision thank you
I love you "

That was so moving, I think we were all just about in tears after he read that. The children were all in uniforms and looked so neat and tidy, but again a close look showed tatters in some of their clothing along with the signs of illness.
After the ceremony we headed out with a group of the children and some local men they had brought in to help dig the holes for the trees, to begin the planting. Here they had an area at the back of the school, that looked like perhaps they would use it as an orchard, it had been cleared to an extent, the brush and grass cut down, but I did noticed a lot of rubble in the soil, like the area had been filled or had something there before . Both of the schools we had been to seem to have put a good deal of work into trying to make the places look presentable and for us to have good access to where the trees should be planted. It seemed like the children were again having great fun with the planting, all of them wanting to help in one way or another. After the planting and the chance to play with the children we were ushered back into the school for snacks, which was a lovely treat. The folks are big on chips and pop, but seem to try to add a healthy bit with some juice and fresh fruit on offer.
Everyday, Linda at Zinkwazi, packed lunches for us of sandwiches, water, juice, fruit etc. but we were finding that we weren't really to hungry most of the time, as we were eating a large breakfast every morning and big dinners as well, so we had started to hand out the sandwiches and fruit to children we spotted along the roads, or when we would be stopped somewhere. This was one of the most pleasant experiences. All the children were so happy to receive any piece of food, a single plum or apple, or half a sandwich. We would have to be careful as to how many children were around when we started to give things out, because before long there would be swarms of children wanting a share, as well. I would start to feel bad, because there wasn't enough for everyone and I would have certainly liked to have been able to give something to all of them. I can truly say now 'there are starving children in Africa, eat your dinner!' It was now into the later part of the afternoon again, so it was time to head back, but along the way we made a stop at a strip mall, to make some purchases at the local supermarket 'Spar' and to take in the local shops, which were very much like all our shops here. I even managed to find another latte!

No comments: