Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

~ Leo F. Buscaglia

When I got back from my trip to Zambia, one of the first things I did was to write to Nikki , my sponsor child in South Africa. I wanted to tell him about my newest trip and also, as his birthday was coming up,  I HAD to send him birthday wishes and a t-shirt I made for him with the World Cup mascot on it. I didn't recieve a reply till Sept, but what a treat it was!
Nikki's Grandmother and I have made a connections (it was her that gave me the Zulu name of Busiswe - Blessed), and I always send her special greetings and so was not the least bit surprised that this letter came from Granny. She had made a special pilgrimage to Durban at Easter for celebrations, and I had asked how her trip had gone. She replied that she had been truly blessed and had prayed for Sthokozile (Angela) and myself, because of the good things we have done for them and the community. It certainly warms your heart to know that the little bit you do is so appreciated, but without the hard working staff at the World Vision KMP office, there really wouldn't have been any of 'my help'. I was informed that Nikki was not home when the mail came, he was at school and was sending a promise to work hard this year, as he was having to repeat his grade. It must be very hard for Nikki, he is the oldest child and being the only 'man' at home I'm sure a lot of the chores fall onto his shoulders, making school very arduous on top of everything else. I know he looks after the cattle, moving them from field to field and he also helps to collect the water, which they have to travel 10 km's to get and the school is an hours trek away. I had mentioned in my letter how long the flights were and how sore and tired I was when I arrived home, again to be told "Oh, sorry for your sickness sore and the back. We worry and won't like thing hurt you. You are very important in our country". I think Busiswe truly suits me, as I really do feel so blessed to be part of this family. I think what truly moved me though was the comment about Velody, (my new Zambian) sponsor child. I sent pictures of him for Nikki to see, and explained a bit about how Velody's life was very much like his own. Granny said that Nikki would be very happy to see his new Zambian brother. This immediately led me to an epiphany. By my sponsoring these 2 boys, in 2 different countries and introducing them, perhaps I was helping to bridge a gap in cultures, maybe religions, and who know what else, and helping to foster a true friendship between countries. Who knows what these boys may grow up to be, perhaps Presidents or Defense Ministers; and that by knowing they have grown up with 'family' in other countries (including Canada), perhaps there will be a future  understanding that we are all different, but yet the same, and that, just might prevent a future conflict between  a country, class of peoples, or a fight over religious differences. One just never knows, but one can pray that an understanding will be there, that we are all 'One Family' of the world. Because as Mahatma Gandhi said -If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children.

No comments: