Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sponsorship visits - things of amazing joy! Part 3

This should actually be called ‘The Beginning’; as it was the start of the day that I visited Velody. Before we headed to his home, I was able to visit with my friend Karen’s sponsor child, Bestren. I think I have previously mentioned that WV has now changed it policy and will no longer let someone, other than a sponsor, visit their child; so we were lucky to get this visit processed just before the policy change, and I’m so glad we did! Karen was concerned about Bestren, and how things were going for him, she hasn’t received very many letters and those she has, are short and do not contain the kind of information she was hoping for. I can sympathize and understand, I think we all would like long rambling letters from our children, telling us everything about them and their lives; but, I also understand from first hand experience, how hard it is for those letters to be written and for those letters to reach the sponsors.

I met Bestren and his Uncle Andrew at the Community Centre in Zimba, where there is a WV sub-office. He is a wonderful young man, shy and soft spoken (video of meeting can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fFZ79D2EQ&feature=channel&list=UL


Charles, Bestren & myself
presents from Karen and
Thank You Larry for the socceer ball!
 
I presented him with the gifts Karen had sent, as well as one of the soccer balls I brought with me; we chatted about this and that and then the visit was over – or so I thought. I was asked if it would be alright if we gave Bestren and his Uncle a ride home (as it was actually on the way to Munkolo and Velody’s). You see, you have to cover the expenses of the visits, the gas, use of vehicles and the staff’s time, so they were being polite and making sure I wouldn’t mind. Of course I didn’t! Even more pictures to be able to send back to Karen after I visited his home. Bestren’s parents are not around (presumed by us, to be deceased, I don’t ask, as I don’t want to seem indelicate), he lives with the Uncle, his Aunt Eunice, 2 little girls, Petrine and Martha and another boy named Mweene. They seem to have a fairly well established substance farm, with lots of chickens, goats and cattle. Aunt Eunice had a very bad injury to her lower leg, where she had hit it with the sharp edge of a hoe, an ugly wound, that I noticed only had some sort of powder applied to keep it dry. Knowing what the medical treatments are like, I can only hope it has healed with no problems. Although it looks like they have enough to feed themselves, I can also tell there is not much in the way of finances available for extras; they are all wearing rather tattered clothes.
Aunt Eunice, Uncle Andrew, myself
Petrine, Martha & Bestren

Over the last few days in Kalomo, I had the most pleasant task of being able to help Geofrey in the office. He had pulled together all the birthday/Christmas/Easter etc. cards that had piled up and hadn’t yet been sorted, then had me enter each of them into the computer and file them into their corresponding districts, so they could finally be delivered to the children.

Yes, it does take awhile for these things to reach the children, but you must remember the voyage they have to make to get to their respective places. Back to WV head office by Canada Post, a boat to some port in Africa, entry through customs at that port, a truck/convoy whatever to the countries WV head office, on to the regional office to be sorted, then off to the sub-offices for delivery by bike, walking or however they can. Months and months, but rest assured, I can solemnly attest to the fact that they DO arrive! AND they are very much treasured.

Rainstorms abounded over these last few days, with so much lightning, it was scary! No one turns off the computer equipment, or seems the least concerned that a lightning strike could hit the big satellite dish on the roof. Nor does it bother them that the tin roofs leak and raindrops drip on their work. The yard at the office turns to an almost quicksand consistency. All part of the Zambian experience. I loved my time in Kalomo. I want to go back and spend more time at the office and in the field learning more about exactly how sponsorship changes lives.


Geofrey

No comments: