Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Sunday, May 19, 2013

The time is always right to do what is right. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Leaving off posts about last years trip, I thought it was time to let everyone in on our upcoming trip and how things are progressing.

We've received word that the property for Fundiswa's home has being acquired!!! Very exciting news indeed. I received this email from WV head office a couple of weeks ago:

Here are 2 photos I received yesterday from staff in South Africa. The plot is purchased but not yet cleared.


Here’s a note from Sayinile received today:
+++++++++
It is good to hear from you my dear sister.

Fundiswa's mother had been in hospital, and she was discharged yesterday and is recovering.
During the time she was away, World vision was able to work with neighbours in ensuring that children were safe and had food to eat. Fundiswa's eldest brother was the one taking care of Fundiswa and her younger brother who is 7 years.
The mother is happy that she is going to have a home for her children as they are living in a one room house she is renting.
The local Chief has mobilised community members to clear the site and i will be giving you an update on how the site looks before end of month.



It looks like a nice plot of land, flat for building and perhaps their own garden and, with trees for shade, let's just hope they don't cut them all down. I haven't received any updates yet, but am looking forward to seeing what is going to be next!
We have also found a great place to donate the dolls and stuffies, along with some of the hygiene kits:

Another exciting development - well, at least I think so! So please help Fundiswa's home build by sponsoring one of the dolls or hygiene kits so we can take even more dolls with us!

Our itinerary is as follows:
We'll leave Vancouver July 18th and arrive in Durban on July 20th. I'll be renting a car again (hoping I don't injure this one!) and we'll drive up to Greytown, where we will be staying at the Sunrise Guesthouse. http://www.sunrisebandb.co.za/

We will stay in Greytown till the 26th, visiting Fundiswa and her family, the Umvoti ADP as well as the Children's Village. We'll also be visiting with our guy Nikki and his family and the KMP ADP staff. On the 26th we expect to head back down towards Durban and spend a couple of days at Umdolti Beach, which will give Angela a chance to re-group from her first experience with rural African life.
I stayed here for a few days at the end of my trip last year, but unfortunately I was too sick with bronchitis to fully appreciate the beautiful expanse of beach. Hopefully that won't be a problem this time! On the morning of the 28th we fly on to Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, where we will spend 2 weeks volunteering at the
Chipangali Wildlife Orphanage http://www.chipangali.com/ one of the few places we could find where Angela wasn't to young and I wasn't to old to volunteer. We're hoping it will be a really wonderful experience. Please make sure to check out their website.


While reading up on the Orphanage, I discovered there is an overnight train that runs from Bulawayo through to Victoria Falls at a cost of only $11 each for a sleeper. I understand it was built in Britain around 1950 and is a 'liitle' run down, no electricity, food etc., but with the door and window locked it says we should be safe. I suppose that means no midnight runs to the washroom! http://www.seat61.com/Zimbabwe.htm 

With Livingstone, Zambia being that close and inexpensive to get to, I decided to add a few days on to the trip (much to Angela's horror, she feels the trip was already a bit long) to visit Kalomo ADP and Velody. How could I pass it up! I believe it will be another great experience for Ang and hopefully one she she'll enjoy.
We have a couple of extra days back in Livingstone, as I want her to see the Falls and take her to the Lion Project (where they now have 7 - 10week old cubs, so won't be to big still, when we visit). Friends Margaret & Claire are back there right now, playing with the cubs!

photo taken by Margaret & Claire

I also plan to meet up with and, take out to dinner, the local staff from the African Impact project, that I wasn't able to thank the way I wanted to last year.Then it's time to head for home once more, leaving Livingstone on the 23rd of August, arriving back in Vancouver on the 24th. So, that is our itinerary at this point; which hopefully will not have any changes between now and then.
I'll post any new pictures of Fundiswa's project as soon as I receive any.

No comments: