Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Thursday, January 12, 2012

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ Lao Tzu

Now that we are into January, I have started to try and get some of the final planning in place. I left a couple of hotel bookings and such till the last minute, and have now been trying to find places to stay in Livingstone and Durban. I only need a 1 night stay (at least I think that's all) in Livingstone, so that hasn't been too difficult; although trying to find something affordable, within walking distance of the bus to Kalomo, and other amenities I want to to get to before getting the bus (groceries will be a must for Kalomo, as I remember the limited food offered there), and the bank to exchange money, were some of the criteria. I have settled on a hostel called Jolly Boys http://www.backpackzambia.com/backpackers.php that seems to fit the bill, with a big plus, the fact that they will pick me up at the airport AND have long term bag storage, so I won't need to take all my bags to Kalomo with me! That is of course, providing ALL the bags arrive this year! That is something I keep fretting over! Durban has been a different matter. It seems to me that prices of rooms have risen dramatically since the 2010 World Cup (not that the rooms look much better in the pictures) and seem to be ranging on par with our rooms here, ranging $80 - $120 and up per night (for areas I will feel safe staying in). Quite a bit more than I had anticipated. Another problem with rooms in Durban, is if you happen to have to cancel your reservation, there is NO refund!! Not that I plan to cancel, but the idea causes me concern. World Vision Head Office here has not yet heard from the National Offices in Zam or SA for visit dates and I may have to change reservations at the last minute, so not sure I want to take the chance, but the rooms seem to be filling fast...what to do?
I went down to Mountain Equipment after the dentist last week (oh yeah, I need my 2 front bottom teeth pulled, that should be attractive, eh?) and found myself a Medic Kit. I have a suture kit, but started thinking that was all well and good if I needed to be sewn up after an accident (lord forbid!) but what if I needed an injection of some type. Well these little kits come equipped with sterile equipment for immunizations, injections of medicines, drawing of blood samples, administration of local anesthetics for suturing or dental procedures, wound closure, or administration of I.V. fluids. What more could you ask for. Feeling safe and secure now.
Tomorrow evening I start a 2 evening course through AIDS Vancouver Island. They were kind enough to let me know this course was coming up for volunteers, and that they would let me attend, so I would have some knowledge while dealing with the medical parts of the projects I will be on. Tomorrow night is basic information on Hepatitis C and next Thursday is basic info on HIV/AIDS. Both should help dramatically in my understating and ability to help. I'm trying to decide if I can afford to update my First Aid and CPR training, I don't know why all these courses are so darn expensive. I really won't need that type training for the projects, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I can receive specific training on treating burns, which is what the projects recommend.
Today I found a stash of little hats I had crocheted (must have been a while back) that have not been finished, so I have a new project to keep me busy for a night or two. I have already added to my stash of re-usable pads for the ladies (the sewing projects I would like to start) after talking with my friend Kathy, after her trip to Malawi (see previous post for her blog link) and learning that the poor women over there usually have nothing more than a piece of cloth stuffed with grass for 'those times'. I can only hope that I can make the sewing project happen. Small business opportunity for some ladies and a gift a dignity for others - a win-win situation.
Have also been in touch with Eric in SA about purchasing the Eco Stoves and having them shipped to the St. Lucia project. I checked with Emma at the project and she has no problem with my having them sent there. Eric now just has to find out the cost of the shipping and another item will be taken care of.
http://www.ecozoomstove.com/
Anyone interested, my finger has now just about healed. THANK GOODNESS! I can't believe that such a little cut could become so infected and spread the way this did. Every nick will now be getting a good smear of Poly!
Still many little odds and ends remain to be seen to, just hope I managed to remember them all, I really hate doing things at the last minute.

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have mastered, you will never grow. ~ C.R. Lawton

No comments: