Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Monday, June 4, 2012

Sponsorship visits are things of amazing joy! Part 1

Coming back after 2 years to see how things had progressed through the World Vision sponsorship program, had me very excited. I was hoping to see some direct differance in the life of Velody and his family; brought about by the measly, small dollar amount I give World Vision each month, hoping that it will have had an impact on their lives, as well as the community. I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived along a different route this time (sorry friends, there were no small white arrows pointing the way, this time), and as we pulled into the yard, I was not sure we were visiting the right family. So much land had been cleared; there was a large garden along with many chickens and goats roaming about. On the previous visit, I don’t remember any chickens or gardens, although I admit to being more interested in talking with Velody than looking about. I’m sure one of my traveling companions can tell me for sure. I had left some cash upon my last departure, from which was purchased some chickens and goats, but I have heard of families eating all the animals before they could reproduce (a windfall of food when your starving must be extremely hard to pass up), so I wasn’t sure if these animals would still be around or gobbled up by the family and neighbours. I was prepared for most contingencies, so as I said, I was pleasantly surprised to see animals and gardens thriving. Did you know that domesticated guinea fowl are now available? I thought they were a wild bird, but seems I am wrong. I was shown eggs from them, which are slightly smaller than a chicken and I’m told have a harder shell. This is a very smart idea, as the birds have lived in these areas for 100’s upon 1000’s of years, so are habituated to the surrounds and perhaps don’t need as much care as a normal chicken. The family of goats (my goats!) was grazing off to one side and seemed healthy and happy, but then what do I know about goats? A fairly substantial area had been cleared and fenced and was planted with a variety of fruit tees that were about 2 years old; not yet producing, but looking well tended. Sellable and eatable, bonus! It seems that small donation I left was making a very large impact on the life of the family. My donation, along with the teachings of the WV community workers about better farming techniques and animal husbandry and they are well on their way to a better life. Sometimes, that’s all it takes, just a little hand up to get a family started, to lift it out of the extreme poverty it has been mired in. If you are financially able, I highly recommend you make a donation through WV head office to your family, you never know what changes it might bring in their lives!
fruit trees

Velody was as shy as last time, but I now know that children in the African countries I have visited are not taught to interact with adults, dropping their eyes and not looking at you is actually a sign of respect, so I have learned to not be offended. I sat with the family and the World Vision for a good hour, talking about how things were and telling about my travels. I was served corn on the cob after mentioning that this is the way I prefer to eat corn at home. Maize is a little tough to eat off the cob, especially when no butter is available to slather on, but I very much appreciated the sharing of what is probably a meager supply of maize this year, as certain areas of Zambia have been stricken again with drought. Most of you probably remember that I said I wanted to buy a bike for Velody…. Godwin was kind enough to take me to a store in Kalomo where I was able to purchase a brand new red bike the day before.. so after all the other gifts were handed out I took him to the Jeep and opened the back door and presented him with his new bike. It is my thought that this simple mode of transport will not only help him get back and forth to the school, which is a goodly distance (and probably with brothers and sisters hanging off the back and the handle bars) but would also be available for Dad or Mom for that matter, to ride to Zimba or the small village that was way back by the school, to pick up supplies. After seeing the fruit trees I began to think if a small trailer was built to attach to the bike it would also be a convenient way to get some produce to market; who knows what an enterprising family would be able to do.










No comments: