Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Sunday, August 19, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock



The effects of Reverse Culture Shock




While wondering why I had been feeling so out of sorts after arriving home, I was searching the web and came across a blog written by a fellow who goes by the  blog name of Nomadic Matt. Here was my explanation! I couldn't have said it better myself, so I unashamedly duplicated his original blog ...it was much easier than trying to write the same ideas in a new blog, so forgive me and thanks to Matt!
I’ve been back for awhile now and it’s been a weird transition. Though this is my third time coming back home from overseas, it is no less strange. When I came home after my first 2 weeks away, I found home to be a very strange place. It was a foreign land all over again. To me, the biggest shock of coming home wasn’t cultural – it was simply the shock of being home. After my first trip, I found it hard to adjust to the cost of things and the quick pace of life. This time around those things, as well as is ordering a small pop the size of my hand, meals big enough to feed a family of four, huge cars, and “big box” Wal-Mart stores are still an adjustment. Yet all that “adjusting” has paled in comparison to the simple shock of just “being home.” That is the hardest thing to deal with. And when travelers talk about adjusting to coming home, we almost always are talking about this – the transition from traveler and life on the road back into your old life. It’s a lot harder than transitioning into travel. When I came home last year, I didn’t really want to see anyone. I was finding it difficult to adjust from such an “on the move” lifestyle to such a sedentary one. Yes, I wanted to see my friends and family but I had just gotten used to the travel lifestyle, and even though it wasn’t always perfect, it was amazing and then all of sudden with one plane ride, it suddenly stopped. The brakes were slammed and it wasn’t easy to deal with. How do you go from new people and places everyday to the complete opposite and not have a hard time?

To quote Benjamin Button about coming home: “It’s a funny thing about comin’ home. Looks the same, smells the same, feels the same. You’ll realize what’s changed is you.” Home is wonderful but it feels very different and, in some ways, no longer home. You’ve changed. You are different but life back home isn’t. Often times it feels like it was frozen while you were away only to defrost right when your return. When you try to express that to your friends, they simply can’t relate and don’t understand.

When you tell your friends about your trip, they’re interested at first but the more details you give, the more their eyes glaze over. They just want an easy answer. Because the more you go on, the more you just make them a) a bit jealous, b) think they haven’t done as much and c) bored. Any long-term traveler who has come home and talked about his/her trip can testify to eyes glazing over after five minutes. And so when you have this angst about being home, it’s hard for anyone but other travelers to understand. Because it’s a feeling without any words. “Weird” or “surreal” or “unstimulating” are usually the best that we can use to describe it but never fully conveys our thoughts. When you talk to another traveler though, you don’t need words. They just understand. They’ve been through it too. To your friends, it can come off as you don’t like being home and you think it’s boring. But it’s not that. You’ve just changed in a way that’s hard to describe. The real shock of coming home is just simply being able to cope with being home. Adjusting back to your culture doesn’t take long. Within a short time, you’ll get back into your groove and remembering the little things you loved. But dealing with leaving the constant movement of the travel lifestyle can take much, much longer and be much, much harder of a shock to deal with.


No comments: