Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Saturday, February 14, 2009

Getting to know Volunteers

Opened my email tonight and found an email from WV with a list of the volunteers for the trip, ( with email addresses ) 8 so far, plus a team leader. That was was a bonus, so I am feeling a little better with the fact that I will be able to get to know the folks a bit, before the trip. She mentioned that some have just been accepted this week and I couldn't help but wonder at how overwhelmed they must feel at this late date, unless of course, they have done this before. Myself, I am one of those who like to have everything laid out in advance, do lots of reading up and checking things out. I like to be as prepared as possible.
So I'm going to carry on here and tell the rest of my team mates a little more in depth info about myself.
First off, I'm married, have 5 grandkids (one lives with us) and am going to turn 57 this year. Anyone else willing to share their age? I'm what I consider fairly healthy, with the usual complaints and meds at this age. Infact, for some unknown reason I am having a flair up of tennis elbow at the moment! I'm not afraid of hard work and the only animals I truly freak out at are snakes (of which I understand, there are not many there, thank goodness) I can handle, bats, rats, and creepy crawlies with no problems. I have done a fair amount of traveling over the years, but never anything like this. Those of you in Ont. - I have visited Toronto 4 times and my husband was born in Hamilton ( on the "Mountain" of course) , so have been there 3 times. Sask. people, sorry to say never had the privilege. Albertans - my god-parents live in Calgary, so have been many times (love it in summer) and I lived for 5 years in Edmonton ( my son was born there) and about 6 months in Ft. Mac. I owned a licensed Sports and Entertainment store for a number of years and traveled to trade shows through out the USA and once to England, plus personnel vacations to the US, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Calif, (you get the picture) as well as Hawaii and Mexico etc. As a teenager did a month through England France and Spain.
My main advise to those of you who have not started to get your immunization's yet...start now! You need a fair bit and they are not cheap and need time between them. Go to a Travel Clinic, not your Doctor, as the clinics know what you need to get.
I have made myself a travel book that has things in it like emergency numbers, email addresses, a page on what tips are expected in different areas ( I never remember these things) as well as extra sets of my itinerary's, medical info ( I went to my doctor and had her write out an extra prescription for all my meds. incase mine should get lost or stolen) and I also found a site that gives you some basic Zulu words that I am trying to learn (at least to say hello) and pasted that in there. I've also photo copied the pictures of the sponsor children, so that I will hopefully be able to recognize them, when we meet. I think that's about all in the book, but it also gives me room to write notes. I used one of my grand daughters old notebooks from school, so I wouldn't have to buy a new one.
I have been picking up a lot of things for sickness, upset tummies, blister packs etc. that everyone keeps recommending, but I probably have lots, so don't purchase an over abundance, I'm sure I have enough to share. I'm debating on bring a water purifier of some sort, as I do like my cup of tea before bed and think it might be cheaper than having to buy large amounts of water. Does anyone else have one that the group could share? Have also been picking up food and snacks as I understand we shouldn't eat any fresh veggies (the water again) or unpealed fruit and I tend towards vegetarianism, so am bring things like cup-o-soup, instant oatmeal, nuts, granola bars etc. which of course most take water to cook. I have a small heater to boil like 1 cup of water, but will feel better to know that all the nasties are out before I boil and drink/eat.
I should also probably mention (and I'm sure it will be to the horror of all of you) that I am a smoker. So, if there is anyone who is not totally put off with that, maybe you would share my room? I've tried to quit twice in the last 2 months, but 45 years of it, makes it really hard, and with all the expectations and excitement, it just doesn't seem possible, right now. I'm on bended knees, everyone forgive me.
Can't think of much else at the moment that might help, but let me know if you think of anything.
Am lookin forward to having this wonderful experience with you all!

No comments: