Dollies for Tanzania

Dollies for Tanzania
newest Dollies

How it works

I am in the process of making dollies to take to the children I will be meeting on the World Vision Tanzania Volunteer Trip in September 2016. I’m asking friends to ‘sponsor’ a dolly for $20.00.
The doll’s are hand made by me, some will have embroidered faces and, as we will be visiting some Muslim communities I have also been making what I hope are appropriate dolls for the Muslim children.
They not only have a heart to show we care, but proudly display a Canadian flag on the back.
How it works -
If you would like to participate by ‘sponsoring’ a dolly, or even just making a donation, you can e-transfer the money to me through your bank or donate through the PayPal button located on my blog at :http://mymissionsa.blogspot.ca/
If you wish you can let me know which type of doll you’d like and if you prefer a boy or a girl. If you would like, I can attach a small gift card where I will be able to write a short message from you to the child.
I can also email you a picture or pictures of your dolls if you wish.
Thank-you in advance or your support.

Dollies for Tanzania







Tuesday, November 15, 2011

In all the joints (malls), in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.”

I've decided to change the name of my blog, as well as the header...after all I am no longer JUST volunteering with World Vision anymore, so I have to take into account African Impact, as well as the time I spend at 'the Lodge' with my old folks. But, of course, World Vision stays closest and dearest to my heart!
So just a reminder to take a look and make sure to get at least 1 of your Christmas gifts this year from the World Vision Gift Catalogue, which is by far, the best Christmas gift you can give to yourself, your family AND make a lasting impact on the life of another.

On to other matters...Friday was spent 7 hours in training for the new job. I had to sign a non-disclosure, so ultimately can't tell to much about the training, but will say that the company's approach to getting people to sponsor and my approach are world's apart! I was unsure I would be able to change my attitude and make a go of it, but I had my first shift on Sunday and thought I would do things my way and see what was said. I was able to find 2 sponsors and the team leader seemed impressed, so I feel as long as they do not pressure me to be more aggressive, things will work out. They do have a daily quota they want you to reach though and I think they will let the people go, who are not able to maintain theirs, so it will remain to be seen if things will last, but if I can keep finding sponsors in my own (unassuming) way, I think it may work out. Fingers crossed, as I have not looked for any other employment since I was told I would get the interview and I am seriously depending on the income to help with the trip finances. Not many hours on offer yet, but I hope as the mall hours increase over the Christmas period, more will become available.

Of great relief (and much excitement) my passport was returned today with my Visa for entering Zambia! They've allowed me 6 months from Nov 1st 2011, as expected, so I will still need to extend it when I reach the Lion Program, but as I said, this we were expecting and it doesn't sound like it will be any kind of a hassle.  Speaking of the Lion Project...one of the sponsors I signed on Sunday was a local young lady. We were talking while waiting to get through to her bank and lo and behold she will be volunteering at the Lion Project for the 2 weeks before me! How is that for serendipity? "In all joints (malls), in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.” ( Casablanca)

I am now into my fourth month of trying to get those new lens's for my glasses at a reasonable price. Thought I finally had it licked with WalMart. Did I tell you that Clearly Contact finally admitted they don't do lined tri-focals, this after allowing me to order 2 pairs, which of course, were not correct? What a waste of time and money on their part! Oh yes, says the manager of WalMart, we can do that...I pick up the glasses last week, which he hands me (seems he was more interested in the new customer ordering than making sure mine fitted and were correct) and sends me on my way. I get home, try them on and the lens's are again not correct! I go back the next day, and am told to come back today (another 4 day delay) to be told that oops they don't carry the size of lens needed and thought they 'would try these'. Nope, not going to work for me I'm afraid. Make them right, or don't make them at all. Why not call and say they can't do it. Another pair wasted. He tells me "Good luck trying to find what you need, no one makes them any more'. How hard is it to get a lined tri-focal lens, I want to know, I'm not so old that these type of lens are obsolete or antiques yet, at least I don't think so! Then I remember Vision Optical, where I purchased the 'old pair' I am wearing and called them this evening. "No problem" she says, "We have them and you will have them within 5 - 7 days" (of course that's providing this pair will be right, but I am nothing if not optimistic). If this pair turns out to not be right, I have a feeling I will be doing a little frustrated dance upon the glasses, smashing them into tiny shards and forgetting the whole ordeal! A last note of frustration in this tale, I have to go back to WalMart tomorrow to have the 'new' lens's removed, because, you know, they couldn't do it this evening. I really find the un-professionalism of some companies and their staff to be beyond comprehension. Ok, now I've vented, I feel more human than snarling, teeth gnashing, monster.
Am still trying to find some new venues of places to approach to 'sponsor' my dollies; especially as it seems the hours I will be working will not amount to as much as I hoped. I have to say though that the response so far has been absolutely amazing and I am overwhelmed with the generosity of family, friends and people I hardly know. I have this wonderful idea to purchase a couple of sewing machines for the project to help  the ladies community groups start small businesses, but it will be an extra added expense I'm not sure I will be able to meet. I always feel very deflated when I have, what I thin are these amazing brainstorms, only to not be able to fulfill my dream. Time for more crossed fingers and prayers from those of you, so inclined. 
I'm flabbergasted at how fast the time seems to be flying by. It will be the New Year, before we know it and then the madness of packing and getting things ready will really kick in.
Suppose that's all the news for now.

No comments: